Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Summer time fun


When we were girls, I could not have been more then 10, my dad found in our community a Ferris wheel. After a few trips to see the contraption, he decided to make one for us. I am one of five children. I have three sisters, and had one brother. We accompanied dad to the country where he borrowed a shed and welding machine and assembled the cut lengths of pipe, the tractor seats, the chrome handle bars. At the end of the fall we had our own Ferriswheel. And we spent hours riding every year, from the first day that one could use a jacket to climb the wheel, to the hot of summer riding in our bathing suits, to the late fall when one required a jacket. All the kids in the neighborhood came to play. many high school kids came after we had gone to bed. My brother and I were the expert climbers, willing to ride with others two or three times our weight. We knew no fear just hours of enjoyment swinging in the Kansas wind, rain, and sun. I am still a ride junky. I don't think I have found one yet that I wouldn't be willing to give a try.

No comments: