Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Past


For years this special tree had been boxed away in all its original packing...

Forty years later as Patty, Peggy, Susan, and I cleaned out one of the out buildings, we found this square box that says 'Everygleam Stainless Aluminum Christmas Tree'. Patty and I vied for the box and ownership...but it was decided it would go to Patty's home for the first year, travel to my home for the following year, and then on to Peggy's for the year after. Our tree will now make this journey from Oklahoma to Virginia and then on to Colorado and back to Oklahoma. Susan cannot understand our fascination for this relic. But she was only two at the time Mike was injured.

I was 10 years old the year friends brought to our home on Christmas night or morning an aluminum tree, and presents that we did not expect or hope for. We have no idea how it got set up, and could only guess who provided the gifts. We were hoping for the return for the day of our 5 year old brother, who had been injured in late fall in a bizarre accident.

My sisters and I climbed out of bed on that Christmas morning with one and only one expectation - We knew that Mom and Dad were on their way to pick up our brother at the hospital. He was going to come home just for Christmas Day. Our Grandmother would be coming soon with cinnamon rolls and the ham to be baked for dinner later that day. But when we walked into the living room, there stood an aluminum tree, decorated, and gifts for all of us.

Mike did come home for the day, and returned to the hospital for additional days finally coming home to recover in January. It was magical, and sharing this story today with a friend brought fresh tears for the wonder and thoughtfulness of our friends who made celebrating that Christmas more than we hoped for.

My grandson, Emerson, helped me assemble the tree the Sunday after Thanksgiving and I decorated it with the ornaments Patty purchased. This is my favorite time of the year, my favorite holiday, for me there are so many magical memories. And I wish you and your family the blessings of the holidays....

1 comment:

anilia said...

Love- The pictures of E helping you keep coming up on my computer. It is too sweet for words!