Saturday, July 24, 2010

Embroidery and other needlework

I think my grandmother and mother taught me how to embroider. I know I learned smocking from Leona or Greta in Brownies and or Scouts. But if a kid was sick, she could be sure that Grandma or Aunt Lena would have some little needle work project to help pass the time. I never enjoyed cross stitch, but I loved the process of growing stitches. As a teenager I had bell bottoms with embellishment. I still have a red velvet skirt I made while living in Denver...

..but here is a site that I discovered about two weeks ago after that discussion in the "Artist's Statement Workshop". And this site re-acquainted me with a long unpracticed skill, embroidery. Many of you I am sure have books and magazines..but if you need a quick look and direction I would encourage you to check out this web site http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html Sharon b's Dictionary of Stitches for Hand Embroidery and Needlework Here is a sample of what it inspired me to do..


I have decided to retrieve the work on the skirt and re-purpose the embroidery...but this decision also comes from looking at this site,and thinking about my sisters, my daughters, and nieces...and planning for a Christmas treat so here is a tease, I still have to purchase a few yards of material...but I know what I will be doing over the next few months, when I am not working on a block for my daughter's block swap. So the July block is done, the lemonade..
and I just need to work on the exterior awnings. I washed the cloth today, tomorrow I will cut them and edge them so I can begin the "fun" work of creating gifts.
The green silk is from Kazakhstan, Ron brought it home from a trip to the East, the small piece of cream silk is the portion of left over from Anilia's wedding cape, the black corded silk (that all the material is laying on) came from a store a few blocks from Erica's home in Baton Rouge, P. Tree Textiles.

1 comment:

Mom A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.