Saturday, July 31, 2010

Risk Taking


I was reflecting on the differences between Ron and I. Yeah, I know he's a guy and I can be somewhat girlie...but what I was thinking about are our personalities...

I am shy - he never met a stranger
I often bite my tongue - he and our children speak their minds and seem comfortable in explaining what and why they have come to the decisions they have made - I need the time to reflect and often cannot verbalize why I have come to a decision - I just know it is right for me
I had a catholic upbringing - he learned to challenge authority at an early age
I was raised with a gaggle of kids - Ron spent most of his childhood with adults
I was raised in the country and a small farming community - he was raised on the beach and in a metropolitan area
I really didn't want to learn to drive a vehicle- Ron was driving before he had a driver's license (okay, okay it may be a guy thing)
I have no close friends from my teenage years (beyond my sisters) - Ron has a couple of bests from high school and they spend time catching up a few times a year
I lack a sense of humor - Ron has a well developed sense of humor
I get lost in a world of things - Ron is a people person


Our commonalities are we-
like to travel,
enjoy driving,
are spontaneous,
are not afraid to take a risk,
enjoy working with our hands,
like trying new things,
trust each other,
and at 37 years of marriage I still consider him my best friend

I'll always be glad he -
risked speaking to the "girl who brought her dad to class"
was adventurous enough to invite himself to the Denver Museum of Art with her,
was impressed by a girl who wasn't afraid to slide under the car in 20 inches of snow to be sure the shifting gear was secure, and
was not so macho he had to buy the coffee and German chocolate cake.

2 comments:

anilia said...

This is wonderful. I love the words and the pictures. Mwa! Can't wait to see you soon!

Mom A said...

looking forward to seeing you too!